We support childhood vaccination so that your child is protected from harmful and potentially fatal diseases. While vaccines are necessary for the health of our patients and communities, we believe parents should have the option to adopt a customized vaccination schedule, different from the one recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and Center for Disease Control (CDC).
Routine Vaccination Schedules
The Routine Vaccination Schedule is determined by the CDC and AAP and it provides guidelines for vaccinations including:
- When to immunize children against certain diseases
- How often to vaccinate children?
- The lowest possible vaccine dose for effective disease prevention
- Integrative Medicine and Routine Vaccinations
We acknowledge that immunizations are one of the first major health-related decisions that parents make for their children and should be carefully considered. While the CDC and AAP recommend a one size fits all approach, at Longwood Pediatrics we are able to customize a schedule that is right for your child. We want to help you come to the best decision possible. We respect families’ choices regarding their child’s healthcare and immunizations, and our board-certified pediatricians can help to formulate an individualized vaccination approach based on:
- Your family’s and child’s unique risk profile
- Travel plans and vaccinations necessary to enter foreign countries
- School-required immunizations
- We respect your choices as a parent and can provide you with an in-depth consultation upon request.
Preventing Pain and Discomfort During Vaccinations
During your child’s vaccination visit we will:
- Encourage breastfeeding during their immunizations which blunts their pain perception
- Suggest other soothing practices for non-breastfeeding babies
- Reduce pain for older children with the help of a “shot blocker” and “Buzzy the Bee“
- We want to make your child's experience as positive as possible.