How your pediatricians can help if your child has asthma.
Asthma signs and symptoms can be more dramatic in children because a child’s airways are smaller, so symptoms can be more severe. Your pediatrician can help your child feel better. The pediatricians at Longwood Pediatrics in Longwood, Florida Dr. Jag Ambwani and Dr. Dolly Ubhrani offer comprehensive care for children, including asthma treatment. They proudly serve residents of Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Sanford, and Maitland.
It’s common for children to have allergies which can bring on asthma symptoms. Exposure to common allergens like plant or flower pollens, pet dander, dust, and mold can bring on a variety of asthma signs and symptoms like these:
- Wheezing and severe coughing
- Breathing problems
- Chronic bronchitis
- A tightness in the chest
Infants and toddlers can’t tell you what’s wrong, so be on the lookout for signs and symptoms like these:
- Slow feeding
- Breathing difficulties while feeding
- Less running or playing due to breathing problems
- Tiring quickly or coughing while active
- Colds and other viruses lasting longer than usual
Asthma can also result in a life-threatening situation, so seek out emergency treatment immediately if your child is:
- Gasping for air or having severe trouble breathing
- Not speaking due to difficulty breathing
If you believe your child may be suffering from asthma, your pediatrician may recommend:
- Testing lung function with spirometry, peak flow measurement, and nitric oxide
- Using rescue inhalers for short-term relief
- Taking asthma medications for long-term relief
- Treating underlying allergies with sublingual immunotherapy and other medications
You should also monitor your child’s environment and keep your child away from cigarette or cigar smoke and allergy triggers.
Your pediatrician can help you and your child feel better about dealing with asthma. To find out more about asthma causes, symptoms, and treatments, call the pediatricians at Longwood Pediatrics at (407) 644-9970, in Longwood, Florida, serving residents of Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, Sanford, and Maitland, Florida. Call today.